world-cup

Iran says FIFA must ensure access to World Cup - Yahoo Sports

Iran has called on FIFA to ensure that its fans have access to the upcoming World Cup. The request highlights the need for inclusivity and support for all participating nations.

Iran's national football team is set to participate in the 2026 World Cup, but the country's foreign ministry spokesperson, Esmail Baghaei, emphasized that FIFA must ensure the necessary facilities and conditions for their participation. Baghaei stated, "We will make every effort. Look, our national football team is not 'travelling' to the United States, rather we are going there to take part in the FIFA World Cup." He underscored that it is FIFA's responsibility to provide all essential arrangements.

Host Countries' Responsibilities

According to Baghaei, FIFA regulations dictate that host countries must provide the necessary arrangements and issue required visas without considering political factors. He expressed hope that FIFA would take the necessary measures to facilitate the Iranian team's participation in the tournament.

Confirmation of Participation

Mehdi Taj, the president of Iran’s Football Federation, confirmed last week that the national team has qualified for the World Cup, asserting that it is their right to compete. This announcement follows FIFA president Gianni Infantino's confirmation that Iran will indeed play in the World Cup, including matches in the U.S. Infantino remarked, "Of course Iran will play in the United States of America," highlighting the importance of unity in sports.

Despite previous concerns raised by Iran's sports minister regarding participation amid geopolitical tensions, a ceasefire has been in effect since April 7. The Iranian team is scheduled to compete in Group G against Egypt, New Zealand, and Belgium. President Donald Trump also commented on the situation, stating, "If Gianni said it, I'm OK," in response to inquiries about Iran's participation.

Source: sports.yahoo.com