Iran Will Participate in the World Cup, FIFA Chief Says - Yahoo Sports
FIFA Chief has announced that Iran will participate in the upcoming World Cup, emphasizing the country's rich football history and commitment to the sport.
FIFA President Gianni Infantino confirmed on Thursday that Iran will take part in the upcoming 2026 World Cup. This announcement was made during his address at the FIFA World Congress held in Vancouver, Canada.
Infantino's Assurance
Infantino stated, "Let me start at the outset confirming, straightaway for those who maybe want to say something else or want to write something else, that of course Iran will be participating at the FIFA World Cup 2026." He further emphasized that Iran will compete in the United States, highlighting the importance of unity and bringing people together in the world of football.
Concerns Over Participation
Questions had emerged regarding Iran's involvement in the tournament amid the ongoing tensions related to the U.S.-Israeli war with the country. Recently, Iranian Football Federation president Mehdi Taj and other officials were denied entry at the Toronto airport while en route to the FIFA Congress. The federation claimed that the officials possessed valid visas but were forced to return to Turkey due to what they described as the “unacceptable behaviour” of Canadian immigration officials.
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney noted that the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, which has been designated as a terrorist organization, is prohibited from entering Canada. He assured that appropriate actions had been taken to ensure that no members of the organization entered the country.
Political Reactions
In response to the announcement, former President Donald Trump expressed his approval, stating, "Well if Gianni said it I'm okay." Trump, who received the “FIFA Peace Prize” in December, previously indicated that he was indifferent about Iran's participation, mentioning in a post that while the Iranian national team is welcome, it may not be appropriate for them to attend due to concerns for their safety.
As the tournament approaches, Iran's participation remains a topic of discussion, especially following their request for alternative venues last month.
Source: sports.yahoo.com